Last Updated: May 12, 2017
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you fill out a form, send us an email, sign up to receive updates, request information, sign a petition, sign up as a volunteer, make a donation, communicate with us via third party social media sites, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we collect may include your name, email address, social media handles, user names, postal address, phone number, and other contact or identifying information you choose to provide.
In addition, the Federal Election Commission (FEC) may require us to collect certain personal information from donors. For example, the FEC requires us to collect (and disclose) the name, mailing address, occupation, and employer of all individuals whose donations exceed $200 per calendar year.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Site
When you access or use our Site, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We log information about your use of the Site, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Site.
- Device Information: We may collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Site, including the hardware model, operating system and version, device identifiers and mobile network information.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information, and this may include sending cookies to your computer or mobile device. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that helps us to improve our Site and your experience, see which areas and features of our Site are popular and count visits. We may also collect information using web beacons (also known as “tracking pixels” or “clear GIFs”). Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Site or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Site.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Site;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Provide and deliver the information you request, process donations and transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and invoices;
- Respond to your emails, submissions, comments, questions and requests, provide customer service, request feedback, and otherwise contact you about your use of the Site;
- Send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various campaigns, candidates, issues, events, resources, promotions, contests, products and services;
- Contact you if other information is necessary under Federal laws;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Site;
- Personalize and improve the Site and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests or that are based on the information you provide or the actions you take; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Onward is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Site or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries.
Sharing of Information
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers or volunteers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- With candidates, organizations, campaigns, groups or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles or objectives or share similar goals and with organizations that facilitate communications and information sharing among such groups;
- To report required information to the Federal Elections Commission, including name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employers of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 in a calendar year (for additional information, visit the FEC website at http://www.fec.gov);
- When we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Onward, its employees, volunteers, constituents or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization, formation of a successor organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of Onward; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you through our Site that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information that does not directly identify you.
Social Sharing Features
The Site may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Site with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
For more information about Internet-based ads, or to opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices.
Onward takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Removing or rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect third party flash cookies that may be used in connection with our Site. To delete or disable flash cookies please visit www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security for more information. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Site.
You may opt out of receiving updates and newsletters by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you other types of emails, such as those about your use of the Site or any donations or transactions.